Posts with «flight» label

Flight Suit Review

Since building my Flight Suit last year, I haven't posted many photos or videos of the finished suit or of its inner workings, so I will make a series of posts about it over the next few weeks. I would not have been able to complete the project without the generous sharing of the OSHW community, and I hope some bit of my project's details will be of some use to somebody.

All work on the suit revolved around a composite image I put together early to lay out the LED light strips, with each level numbered (0-11) and each segment getting a unique letter designation (A-X). Arms are shown up and down since the suit adapts to the arms' positions, lighting up each segment according to its current level.

From that composite image, I built a segment spreadsheet to keep track of the 22 LED strips through construction and programming. It includes all of the segments' lengths and progress steps, plus designations of levels, segment letters, and channels.

The system's electronic components are distributed throughout the suit using existing fittings on the suit when possible:
  • The 12V Li-ion battery pack which powers the suit fits nicely in the right thigh pocket.  Its switch acts as the main system on/off switch.  Spare battery packs fit in zippered ankle pockets.
  • The main system board sits in the upper left arm pocket: an Arduino-compatible board with a shield containing the left arm accelerometer board and jacks for the right arm accelerometer, MOSFET boards, ZX-Sound, and remote control.
  • The right arm accelerometer sits in a small pocket sewed onto the right upper arm.
  • MOSFET boards hang in the chest pockets, attached to the leads routed through the suit to the LED strips.
  • The ZX-Sound audio board is mounted with Velcro to the included patch on the left chest.
  • The remote control dangles from its cat 5 cable or attaches to an existing Velcro strip at the waist.
I plan to post at least once on each of these topics:
  • System layout, schematics and final firmware
  • LED strips: planning, splitting/making, mounting
  • MOSFET boards: driving the LED strips
  • ZX-Sound: incorporating audio response into the system
  • Arm accelerometers: reading and filtering and controlling segment/level mapping
  • Remote control
  • Main program design: fast looping, modes, ShiftPWM
  • Wearability: marrying the system and the suit, sewing, gluing, maintenance
If there's something else you're curious about, please email me or post a comment. As I post more, I will continue to upload photos to my Flickr set.
Jeff's Arduino Blog 01 May 20:03
flight  suit  

DARPA's crowdsourced UAV competition heats up, takes off (video)

Late last year, DARPA launched UAVForge -- a competition that invites contestants to create their very own unmanned aerial vehicles, and submit them for voter-based evaluation. The project is far from over, but competing teams have already started sending in their proof-of-flight videos, giving us a glimpse of what's to come. So far, it looks like the GremLion UAV (pictured above) is the early favorite, after coming out victorious in the first round of voting. Developed by a team from the National University of Singapore, the GremLion looks like a bite-sized Death Star and flies around using a coaxial set of rotors that expand tulip-style out of its shell. Also included in the UAVForge showdown is a guy known as X-MAUS -- an Arduino-controlled quadcopter that can apparently transform into a more aerodynamic plane form upon liftoff. And, rounding out the list of notables is a submission from TU Delft known as the QuadShot, which is basically a miniature B-Wing from Star Wars. Except it's real. Hit up the break to see all three in action.

Continue reading DARPA's crowdsourced UAV competition heats up, takes off (video)

DARPA's crowdsourced UAV competition heats up, takes off (video) originally appeared on Engadget on Wed, 08 Feb 2012 04:58:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

(F)Light Suit Progress: Almost There!

So much progress in the last two weeks, the big milestones being...
  • I got the MOSFET boards and built three-- they worked right away! As expected I needed resistors between the 595 outputs and the MOSFETs; didn't notice that until I hooked up the third one and things weren't behaving. I'm not crazy about the screw terminals but they'll be OK.
  • Testing the MOSFET outputs with all 22 segments-- 53' of light, so bright! The first tests were just "All Fade" mode.
  • Expanding the program to sense arm angles. The routine automatically sets arm levels, either up/down or matching angle, and how many levels there are (since arms up can create a new level).
  • Adding a proper "Rolling" mode to sweep a band or bands over the whole suit, top to bottom, with variables delay (ms), brightness, direction, and number of bands (density). Seeing all the bands rolling through was a relief.
  • Sewing is awesome. I've sewn 10 out of 19 "loop" side Velcro bands into the suit: both legs and the hips and waist.
  • ZX-Sound works! Filtering and sampling will be the last things I dial in, but I have working bouncy light code, smoothed and at whatever Hz I want, dynamically computing the high and low so it will bounce if it's quiet or loud.
Still big items:
  • Integrate audio sketch into main line, finish filtering code, and use filtering code for gravity sketch,
  • Finish sewing hook-side Velcro strips onto the suit,
  • Cut the loop-side Velcro for the light strips and stick it on with silicone,
  • Measure and cut and route in-suit leads: 4 solder points each, 6 pieces of shrink,
  • Sew in conduit for left-to-right board, battery, audio, and accelerometer leads.
  • Address shoes, hat(s), headband mounting and routing...
That's all I can think of for now, back to sewing...
Jeff's Arduino Blog 25 Aug 04:43
flight  suit